Re: Second SATA device lost after ZFS root is mount

From: Sebastian Chmielewski <chmiels_at_o2.pl>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:00:55 +0100
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:39:52 +0200
Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> SATA device can be dropped because of error during reset/ probe/
> initialization sequence or because controller reported disconnection.
> Verbose boot messages (boot -v from loader prompt) should give more
> information about what happened there. Show please full verbose dmesg.
Using rc_debug="YES" in rc.conf I've found that my device is dropped during
sysctl_start. With empty sysctl.conf my device is not lost. The contents of
file seems quite innocent:

# Uncomment this to prevent users from seeing information about processes that
# are being run under another UID.
security.bsd.see_other_uids=1

# Enable/disable coredump
kern.coredump=1

# Up the maxfiles to 4x default
kern.maxfiles=49312

kern.ipc.shmmax=67108864
kern.ipc.shmall=32768

# Allow users to mount CD's
vfs.usermount=1
vfs.hirunningspace=8388608
vfs.lorunningspace=1048576

kern.corefile="/var/coredumps/%U/%N.core"

# Do not truncate command line arguments in ps(1) listing
kern.ps_arg_cache_limit=10000

# Tune for desktop usage
kern.sched.preempt_thresh=224

# Increase default setting - recommended for 2 GB of RAM
kern.maxvnodes=400000

dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness=6
dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness=3
net.link.tap.user_open=1
net.link.tap.up_on_open=1

The device is lost even when sysctl is started with new file when booting finishes (I did service sysctl restart from X session).
# sysctl debug.bootverbose=1
# service sysctl restart
# dmesg

ahcich1: DISCONNECT requested
ahcich1: AHCI reset...
ahcich1: SATA connect timeout time=10000us status=00000000
ahcich1: AHCI reset: device not found
(ada1:ahcich1:0:0:0): lost device
(pass1:ahcich1:0:0:0): lost device
(pass1:ahcich1:0:0:0): removing device entry

Crazy, isn't it?

best regards,
--
Sebastian Chmielewski * jid:chmielsster_at_gmail.com * gg:3336919 * icq:224161389