Re: vm_page_t related KBI [Was: Re: panic at vm_page_wire with FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3]

From: Attilio Rao <attilio_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:15:01 +0100
2011/11/7 Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 11:45:38AM -0600, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Ok.  I'll offer one final suggestion.  Please consider an alternative
>> suffix to "func".  Perhaps, "kbi" or "KBI".  In other words, something
>> that hints at the function's reason for existing.
>
> Sure. Below is the extraction of only vm_page_lock() bits, together
> with the suggested rename. When Attilio provides the promised simplification
> of the mutex KPI, this can be reduced.

My tentative patch is here:
http://www.freebsd.org/~attilio/mutexfileline.patch

I need to make more compile testing later, but it already compiles
GENERIC + modules fine on HEAD.

The patch provides a common entrypoint, option independent, for both
fast case and debug/compat case.
Additively, it almost entirely fixes the standard violation of the
reserved namespace, as you described (the notable exception being the
macro used in the fast path, that I want to fix as well, but in a
separate commit).

Now the file/line couplet can be passed to the "_" suffix variant of
the flag functions.

eadler_at_ reviewed the mutex.h comment.

Please let me know what you think about it, as long as we agree on the
patch I'll commit it.

Attilio