Re: upgrade issue 8.x to 9.0-RC2: libz.so.5 not found

From: Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:49:40 +0100
allan_at_stokes.ca schreef:
> However, programs such as startx and portupgrade are failing with the
> message "libz.so.5 not found".  I know I can fix this with an evil
> symlink, but that doesn't seem right, and what else is broken?  Is there
> not a facility in portupgrade to scan my live dependencies and warn me of
> breakage?  I have not encountered such a beast in my gleanings to date.
What you probably did is make delete-old-libs.
This deletes the old 8.x libs that where used by your ports.
What you need to do is rebuild all your ports.

That way they get linked to the proper libs again.

The next time when you go from one major to another major number eg from
7 to 8 or from 8 to 9 and so on, is to do the make delete-old-libs step
later.
Then after upgrading, rebuild all your ports, they still work with the
old libs.
Once the ports are rebuild against the newer libs then do the make
delete-old-libs step.

This is not nessacery when going from a minor number to amother minor
number. eg from 8.1 to 8.2 and so on.

Hope this helps.
regards
Johan Hendriks