Re: [patch] turning devctl into a "multiple openable" device

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:05:11 -0500
On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:43:20 am Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the help of cognet, I wrote a patch to turn devctl into a multiple openable
> device, that mean that it will allow to open /dev/devctl in multiple programs,
> for example hald and everythings that want to receive notification from the
> device won't need to depend on haveing devd running.
>
> here is the patch:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/devctl_multi_open.diff

Shouldn't devctl_queue_data_f() use the requested malloc() flags instead of
hardcoding M_NOWAIT?

Also, I know that it was an intentional design decisison by Warner to have
the multiplexing of devctl data done in userland via devd rather than in the
kernel.  (I think he envisioned devd providing a UNIX domain socket or some
such for other daemons to use to listen to events.)  Have you asked him about
this change?

--
John Baldwin