[CFT] pkgng alpha2

From: Julien Laffaye <jlaffaye_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:32:18 +0100
Hi all,

We are releasing pkgng (the next pkg_install) alpha2 to the world and we
want you to test it!
There is no "good" method to test it: use it as you would in the real
world. Of course, you are encouraged to backup your data or test it in some
kind of virtualized environment.
After using it for some time, you will certainly find bugs. You can
report them
on the issues tracker [1]. If you find missing features, that is things
you can't do
with pkgng but can with pkg_install, you can also report
them. New features are not the expected outcome of this call, as we want to
release a final version ASAP.
FYI, an alpha3 should follow shortly to fix issues in alpha3 and test
additional features. After that, there will be a feature freeze with beta1.

Getting started:
You can download or git clone the source code of pkgng on the github
page [2].
Then, a boring `make' followed by `make install' will do it.
If you have some packages installed by pkg_add, you can convert the old
database to the pkgng database with the 'pkg2ng' shell script in the ports/
folder.
You can also add packages from the ports tree (with bsd.pkgng.mk) or with
a pkgng repository. All is documented in the README and manpages.
If you are a newcomer to pkgng, this doc reading step is also valuable
to us.
Indeed, if you fight to get the right infos, or if some things feel counter
intuitive, we should improve it!

Which brings me to the topic of contributing to pkgng.
The best thing you can do is to write down the documentation you would
have loved
to read while testing pkgng!
And of course, if you have a patch with your bug report, it is much
appreciated.

If you read this entire mail and wonder what is this pkgng thing, you
can read
the wiki page [3], bapt's presentation from BSDCan [4], EuroBSDCon [5]
[6] and browse the source code.

Regards,
Julien, on behalf of the pkgng team.

And remember, we _do_ want to hear back from you!
Please also note that it is still alpha code and it can kill kitten and
puppies. You are warned ;-)

[1] : https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/issues
[2] : https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng
[3] : http://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng