Re: Strange ZFS filesystem corruption

From: Matt Thyer <matt.thyer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 19:57:28 +1030
On Oct 4, 2011 5:50 AM, "Paul Mather" <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> I have a raidz2 ZFS pool on a system that I have recently been using as a
mirror for about 6.5 TiB of data.  The data are mirrored nightly using
rsync.  I noticed during these nightly rsync copies I would get some errors
like this:

> =====
> file has vanished: "/backups/storage/san/DLA/DLA_Records/05DLAAdmin"
> rsync: stat "/backups/storage/san/DLA/DLA_Records/05DLAAdmin" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
> rsync: recv_generator: mkdir
"/backups/storage/san/DLA/DLA_Records/05DLAAdmin/05DI_business copy" failed:
No such file or directory (2)
> *** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

[snip]

> I know ZFS does not have a fsck utility ("because it doesn't need one":),
but does anyone know of any way of fixing this corruption short of
destroying the pool, creating a new one, and restoring from backup?  Is
there some way of exporting and re-importing the pool that has the
side-effect of doing some kind of fsck-like repairing of subtle corruption
like this?

> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

Paul,

I'd be looking at the hardware or drivers.

What disk model are you using and what controller?

Are you using port multipliers and are there known issues with your hardware
combination?