Re: RFC: Project geom-events

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:29:22 +0300
On 04.10.2011 21:12, Freddie Cash wrote:
> 2011/10/4 Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_freebsd.org <mailto:lev_at_freebsd.org>>
>
>      One thing is missed from software RAIDs is spare drives and state
>     monitoring (yes, I know, that geom_raid supports spare drivers for
>     metadata formats which supports them, but it not universal solution).
>

> Sounds impressive!  Will be very useful for those using GEOM-based RAID
> (gmirror, gstripe, graid3, graid5, etc).
>
> Just curious:  would the geom-events framework, and in particular the
> geom-events script, be useful for ZFS setups, for initiating
> replacements and providing "hot-spare" support?

Now there is projects/zfsd branch that is doing alike things (disk
auto-insertion and hot spares) specifically for the case of ZFS. It also
uses devctl interface to receive events, but user-level part (zfsd
itself) is tightly hardcoded to talk to ZFS, fetching statuses and
making control actions. Not sure whether this functionality could be
scripted within geom-events, but having single mechanism indeed would be
nice.

--
Alexander Motin