Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

From: Brett Glass <brett_at_lariat.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 07:18:37 -0600
At 05:02 AM 10/7/2011, Ed Schouten wrote:

>It should be xterm, since syscons now uses an xterm-style terminal
>emulator.

Interesting. Apparently, the xterm termcap does not work properly for it.

>I have never used jove before, so what should I do to
>reproduce this?

Have you ever used EMACS? jove is just one implementation of it (but
without the huge overhead imposed by the LISP interpreter in GNU EMACS).

In any event, build and install the port, and then try to edit a file.
Just simple stuff, like moving the cursor, backspacing over characters
to delete them, inserting characters in the middle of lines. Among other
things, you'll see portions of lines vanish from the screen while you're
editing, until you hit ^L (the EMACS command to refresh the screen) a
couple of times.

The older syscons driver worked very well with the "cons25" termcap
entry, but the one in 9.0-BETA2 and 9.0-BETA3 does NOT work well with
the "xterm" termcap entry. Many artifacts. You almost can't edit. I
have had to log in via SSH and use vt100 rather than using the console.

--Brett Glass