Re: aliasing (or renaming) kern.geom.debugflags

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:03:52 +0000
In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1110071236270.2450_at_wonkity.com>, Warren Block write
s:

>Well, yes.  The goal is to unprotect the device, regardless of what may
>already be on it.  Then the user can overwrite it with the memory stick
>image.

Unprotect from what ?  from being already mounted ?

If you cannot open a geom provider for writing, then it is because
some piece of code in the kernel thinks it already owns the device
and don't want you to muck about with it.

Overriding this check is just asking for panics...

What I usually do in cases like this is:

	(umount /dev/${whatever} || true) > /dev/null 2>&1

And if that isn't enough, or not possible, then the user needs
to undo whatever he did to the device...