Re: aliasing (or renaming) kern.geom.debugflags

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 16:52:40 +0000
In message <CACqU3MUQQ6XQTFXhVe1Jtu4Aey3KCdkTcprD7Ojq3oUrdC8b-w_at_mail.gmail.com>
, Arnaud Lacombe writes:

>User do not care to understand the meaning of an option, you leave a
>hole somewhere, it will be used. I'm not even speaking about security
>issue here...

There is a big difference between having an emergency hatch that
gives you a chance to escape certain death by running across a
shooting range, and on posting a sign telling people to use it as
a short-cut.

debugflags&16 has legitimate uses if you know exactly what kind of
shitty situation you are in, and it should absolutely be in the
release kernel for that reason.