Re: RFC: Project geom-events

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:56:50 +0300
On Oct 8, 2011, at 12:05 , Lev Serebryakov wrote:

> Hello, Ivan.
> You wrote 8 октября 2011 г., 0:23:14:
>
>> If you think this should be explicitely handled, please file a PR
>> which requests the modification of gpart so that it detects that a GPT
>> is being created in anything other than a raw drive, and warns the
>> user.
>  It should be mentioned in documentation, at least.
>  But how people will create bootable gmirror installation in such
> case? Make (many) mirrors from parts? I don't like this idea...

Good example of what I would call laziness -- other would call it hacking I guess. Either way, the solution we have now is permitting some exotic setups, but is fragile and is not consistent. Most of the useful features are actually side effects of the hack.

If it should remain this way, a warning in the documentation and at runtime is very helpful.

Daniel