Re: Memstick image differences between 8.x and 9.x

From: Thomas K. <fwd_at_gothschlampen.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 04:50:48 +0200
On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 07:28:55PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, Matt Thyer wrote:
> >On Oct 9, 2011 11:04 AM, "Nathan Whitehorn" <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 10/08/11 19:25, Matt Thyer wrote:
> >>>

> >There is also the interesting question of actually installing to GPT on the hard disk, which is the default in 9.0. Does this not work on some systems? If so, do we want to blacklist
> >them and use a different default partition scheme? Can we identify systems that violate regular PC boot standards and reject GPT? Any data on any of these points would be appreciated.
> >>
> >I don't think there have been any reports of failure to boot properly formatted GPT yet.
>
> Lenovo T420S and T520, from the links above.  Install GPT on the
> hard drive, try to boot.
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26304
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26759
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=98078

As I used parted from Linux to fix the alternate GPT, i.e. put it not at the
end of the image data but on the end of the disk, and it still did not appear
in the boot device list, the Acer AX3960 should probably be on the list
as well.

Being a Core i7 2600k system maybe 6 months old, it's rather recent hardware,
but doesn't boot from the memstick image.

Regards,
Thomas