Re: Update on ports on 10.0

From: Matt Thyer <matt.thyer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:47:22 +1030
On Oct 11, 2011 5:07 PM, "Erwin Lansing" <erwin_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Since the release has been pushed back some more since the last mail, we
> do have some time to test a possible fix for the issues we're seeing
> with libtool on FreeBSD 10.0.

[snip]

> to move forward.  Other options include the big find/grep/awk solution
> that has been posted several times and fiddling with uname to go to
> FreeBSD 9.99 for a while, while ports can be fixed.

I would vote for a prominent message in the places people who run -CURRENT
are meant to pay attention to (this mailing list and UPDATING and the ports
equivalents).

The message should point people to a web site (wiki?) with the latest news
on how to report and provide patches for fixes with guidance on typical
solutions.

After all, this is -CURRENT and it's users are meant to be contributing
fixes and are not expected to require their hands to be held.

This I believe would be a good method to leverage the community so as to
distribute the fixup problem.

In particular the hack of 9.99 is likely to cause more problems and should
be avoided.

My 2¢