Re: System headers with clang?

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:36:20 -0400
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM, René Ladan <rene_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> 2011/10/11 Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>:

>>> lsof is PORTABLE and available on LOTS of platforms.
>>>
>>> We have fstat, but lsof can be used between differing OS's.
>>>
>>> We've also asked for Kernel interfaces before, but no one volunteered
>>> to make the KPI for them.
>>>
>>> I'm sure if someone(tm) (not me, insufficient knowledge) was
>>> to make interfaces for ALL that lsof needs, Vic would implement it
>>> as it would make his life easier.
>>
>> It would be nice in general if there were sysctls for accessing this
>> data as even utilities in base have libkvm magic sprinkled around with
>> pointer magic by default instead of using the sysctl analogs (I'm
>> referring to ifconfig, netstat, etc), and as noted by some.. using
>> libkvm on live memory could be potentially; the only valid usage I can
>> really think of is when dealing with .
>>
>> What data does Vic need to grab from the kernel in order to get the
>> file descriptor data?
>>
> Just a quick note that FreeBSD 9 and later also have libprocstat which
> could be a nice interface.  I haven't looked at the details yet though.

libprocstat is _itself_ a problem:

% git grep 'define _KERNEL' .
[...]
lib/libprocstat/cd9660.c:#define _KERNEL
lib/libprocstat/nwfs.c:#define _KERNEL
lib/libprocstat/smbfs.c:#define _KERNEL
lib/libprocstat/udf.c:#define _KERNEL
lib/libprocstat/zfs.c:#define _KERNEL
[...]

ok, I admit this is all FS related stuff :)

 - Arnaud