Re: 9 hangs with idletick = 0

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:36:05 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
> I've just built a kernel with KTR support, and with KTR_SPARE2, KTR_INTR
> and KTR_SCHED enabled by default.  I'll see what turns up.  I'm also
> going to try machdep.idle=hlt with kern.eventtimer.idletick=0, and using
> a PCI re(4) instead of the on-board msk(4) while running with default
> settings.

Great, the bug does not occur when KTR is enabled.  The machine has been
up for 14+ hours without crashing, despite plenty of network activity,
which usually triggers a freeze within minutes.

It looks like there may still be short freezes (a few seconds at a
time).  I'm thinking of instrumenting fetch(1) to record any instances
of fread() taking more than, say, half a second.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no