Re: Compatibility with 8.0

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:28:55 -0400
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com> wrote:
> Hi Current,
>
>        Should the new Beta 3 have "options COMPAT_FREEBSD8" in the GENERIC
> kernel config file? Or, does this happen when it goes RC?

What would you expect this option to cover ?

I'd assume that no ABI[0] have been broken between FreeBSD 8 and
FreeBSD 9. If ABI had been broken, the developer should have been
responsible enough to create the proper compatibility shim and would
already have introduced COMPAT_FREEBSD9.

Of course, this leaves options for ABI being broken, compatibility
shim introduced, but COMPAT_FREEBSD9 not introduced :)

 - Arnaud

[0]: all the mentions of "ABI" exclude KVM.