Re: 3 show-stopper issues with 9-BETA3

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:58:08 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Ian FREISLICH wrote:

> In no particular order:

It's a shame that nobody has yet picked up on this, it is a very useful
list of bugs in 9.0.  Is there any chance you could log these three issues
as three separate PRs so that they don't get lost?  Please tag them with
[regression] in the subject if they are indeed regressions from a previous
version (they sound like they are) so that they hopefully get onto the
release engineering radar.

> 1. bce(4) transmit and recieve ring buffer overruns
> 	On a moderately busy router with a full BGP table and
> 	aggregate throughput of between 200mbps and 800mbps, I get
> 	these buffer overruns at an average rate of 28 per second
> 	on the busiest interface.
>
> 	[firewall1.jnb1] ~ # sysctl dev.bce |grep com_no_buffers
> 	dev.bce.0.com_no_buffers: 101
> 	dev.bce.1.com_no_buffers: 0
> 	dev.bce.2.com_no_buffers: 32547
> 	dev.bce.3.com_no_buffers: 444
>
> 	I've tried increasing the TX_PAGES and RX_PAGES in
> 	sys/dev/bce/if_bcereg.h as I've done in the past (to 64)
> 	which is what resolved this problem on 8.2-STABLE to no avail.
> 	It appears that there is a hard limit of 8 according to
> 	bce_set_tunables() in if_bce.c.  But no values to hw.bce.tx_pages
> 	and hw.bce.rx_pages makes the slightest difference.
>
> 2. carp(4) on my backup router randomly takes over MASTER on the
> 	standby host, but when ifconfig claims the carp interface
> 	is master tcpdump shows that it's not broadcasting its
> 	advertisement.  The actual master still broadcasts and no
> 	setting of advskew or advbase changes the 9-BETA host's
> 	idea of who is actually master.  I have to reboot the host
> 	to reset the carp interfaces.  destroying and re-creating
> 	them just brings them up as backup for about a second and
> 	then they regress to master.

Is ipv6 involved in this?

Do you have a couple of sample config files that I can drop onto two
machines and recreate the issue, by any chance?

> 3. PF doesn't expire state. The state table on my older host (pre
> 	OpenBSD-4.5) has the following stats:

> 	State Table                          Total             Rate
> 	  current entries                   169546
> 	  searches                        94387451        42193.8/s
> 	  inserts                          4012389         1793.6/s
> 	  removals                         3842843         1717.9/s
>
> 	The 9-BETA3 host's current entries exactly match the number
> 	of inserts until it hits the hard limit of 1.5M entries and
> 	can add no more.  It takes about 10 minutes to fill up and
> 	then no new flows are routed.

I've seen a few reports of this, and it's quite concerning.  Please, can
you submit this as a PR?

Thanks,

Gavin