Re: 9.x installer and GPT vs geom, features in bsdinstall

From: Roger Genre <genre.roger_at_orange.fr>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:21:25 +0200
On 10/13/11, Oliver Hartman wrote:
> On 10/13/11 10:39, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> >  Hello all.
>> >
>> >  I just used the 9.0 B3 installer, and it defaults to GPT, which is nice.
>> >  However, and there has been some discussions about it, it would be nice
>> >  if the installer warns me that i could get in trouble if i want to use
>> >  gmirror and the like.
>> >
>> >  Also i find it a little strange that the default mode, GPT in this case
>> >  is in some sort not compatible with the other default geom structure.
>> >  For a newcomer or for people who use gmirror and glabel on a regular
>> >  basis because there somewhat default, it could strike them if they start
>> >  using the default GPT.
>> >
>> >  It is not logical.
>> >  Two default ways to do things that are in a way not compatible.
>> >
>> >  So a warning at the installer level could make a lot of users aware of
>> >  this, and they can decide what to do, use GPT or go back to the old MBR.
>> >  They can start looking at the mailling list and so on to make the right
>> >  decision is GPT acceptable for me or not.
>> >  And not install FreeBSD and find out later that you could not use your
>> >  old gmirror and glabel tactics without corrupting the GPT structure.
>> >
>> >  Just my thoughts about this.
>> >
>> >  regards,
>> >  Johan Hendriks
>> >

> Shouldn't be there also a warning that GPT can not be used with the
> FreeBSD native bootselector? I had trouble installing FreeBSD
> 9.0-CURRENT a while ago with default being GPT on my notebook and also
> wanting a Windows 7/x64 for presentations, selectable via the FreeBSD
> bootselector. This was possible with MBR, but it seems gone with GPT.
>

> Regards,
> Oliver

GPT shouldn't be installed with ANY bootselector present on the same
device !

But, I noticed that when installing 9.0B1 on 2nd slice of a MBR disk
(1st slice with 8.2), using "expert" mode in Bsdinstall, (so selecting a
MBR installation), I did not have the expected choice (like in
sysinstall) between a MBR bootloader, a standard MBR , or "don't touch
to bootsector"; (no damage for me, as my bootselector --grub--is
installed on a separate disk dedicated to rescue and booting, allowing
me to be more safe when testing newer releases); could this usefull
previous choice be merged in Bsdinstall ?

Later, I installed the 9.0B3 on a free disk, using the "guided" mode in
Bsdinstall, and selecting an GPT installation, that worked fine; but I
found very few differences between "guided" and "expert" mode (both
require a minimal expertise). The use of  "auto" choice would be too
more documented, instead of letting the user to "see what will happen" ?.

I agree with the suggestion to introduce  warnings in the installer
itself, against the most dangerous incompatibilities, between gpt and
geom, or whatever that could appear during the beta testing; but more
generally the question is : what level of information need to be present
in the installation medium, apart of the installer, allowing non-expert
to succed installation whit a minimum of mistakes; it is obvious that
having a look on the mailing lists BEFORE to begin is very helpfull, and
a digest of the most important threads could appear as a README-1st or
an installation-FAQ with the proper comments, at the ordinary-user level?

Regards

Roger