Re: x.0 RELASE isn't for production.

From: Pavel Timofeev <timp87_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:16:51 +0400
2011/10/19 Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks_at_gmail.com>

>  Pavel Timofeev schreef:
>
>  I think we hurry. Imo, BETA/RC period for !NEW! STABLE branch should be> > longer. Six months, for example.> > New STABLE branch is very important!
>
>  >> So is opening head up to allow developers to work on and commit new> code.  As with many things in engineering, there's a cost/benefit> trade-off.  RE is doing a remarkable job, IMO.>
>
>  Sorry, don't misunderstand me. I'm talking about new STABLE branch.
> Maybe we need to change things like "BETA-1(2) is still CURRENT". For
> example, let's introduce a new concept "ALPHA" (which will be CURRENT). And
> BETAs will be STABLE.
>
>  If you want a really stable OS ,then there is never going to be a release.
> In CURRENT, there are a lot of changes already that do not go into 9.0
> You _must_ take a point in time to release the release, even with known and
> pending patches.
> If you are going to wait, then there will never be a release.

Yes, I agree, but there must be a golden mean.

> The 9.0.1, 9.0.2 branch idea is very apealling i must say.
> But here the same problem do we wait for that one patch that is waiting
> MFC?
> So the same problem when do you release the 9.0.x version!
>
> Releasing the release is a trade-off.

Ok, I understood.

> I do like the current approach that FreeBSD uses.
> The only thing i think could be better is to slow down the release cycle.

Yes, me too

I would like to see a release like 9.8, which then have an enormous real
> world exposure and where "all" possible bugs are ironed out.

Well, it's a large number. x.3(4) - yes.
However, progress is developing faster and faster and we need to keep up
with him, so you're right below.

A release that you could use without hesitating  for your daily tasks.