Re: possible mountroot regression

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 22:48:32 -0700
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In some languages...
>>>
>>> More important to me is the "the Abort manual input" which tells what it
>>> does but not why the user would want to do that.
>>>
>>> Abort manual input... and then what?  Hang?  Retry?  Panic?  Reboot? Resume
>>> attempting to mount the root device that was expected?
>>
> well, panic, there isn't much other thing to do. At the very least,
> letting the user input something is still better than what Linux do,
> which is to panic.
>
>> Or just go back to status quo for previous releases and we can worry
>> about usability later?
>>
> which status-quo ? the mountroot procedure of 7 is broken as well, as
> I found out yesterday. So what ? 6 ? 5 ? 4 ?

    The status quo that I was thinking of was press enter to get a
list of available devices instead of immediately panicking like the
new bootloader code currently does. As long as that status quo is
restored, I think a lot of existing users will be happy. Otherwise
this discussion could stall and turn into an unnecessary bikeshed.
Thanks,
-Garrett