Re: ipmi(4)/isa woes

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:31:01 -0400
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:53:11 pm Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > I've got a machine where ipmi(4) seem to be unable to fully attach.
>> > 10-current kernel complains the following way:
>> >
>> > ipmi0: <IPMI System Interface> at iomem 0-0x1 on isa0
>> > ipmi0: KCS mode found at mem 0x0 alignment 0x1 on isa
>> > ipmi0: couldn't configure I/O resource
>> > device_attach: ipmi0 attach returned 6
>
> Resource 0 is not right and will not work.  In this case your BIOS has a buggy
> SMBIOS / DMI table entry for IPMI.
>
>> Actually, I can bypass this issue by enabling acpi(4):
>>
>> ipmi0: <IPMI System Interface> port 0xca2,0xca3 on acpi0
>> ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca2 on acpi
>> ipmi1: <IPMI System Interface> on isa0
>> device_attach: ipmi1 attach returned 16
>> pmtimer0 on isa0
>> ipmi1: <IPMI System Interface> on isa0
>> device_attach: ipmi1 attach returned 16
>
> You can ignore the ipmi1 messages.
>
>> However, the driver fails right after with:
>>
>> ipmi0: Timed out waiting for GET_DEVICE_ID
>
> Are you sure you have working IPMI?  The timeouts and the busted DMI table
> is consistent with a machine where IPMI is available via an optional
> daughterboard, but the daughterboard isn't installed.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what's the hardware layout looks like[0],
but when ipmi0 is "attached" on isa0, I can access the IPMI
controller, get the various information, set/reset the watchdog.
ipmitool(1) works like a charm. However, at some point, the KCS is
unable to reach the IPMI controller. Typical error is:

ipmi0: KCS: Reply address mismatch
ipmi0: KCS error: 01
ipmi0: KCS: Reply address mismatch
ipmi0: KCS error: 01
ipmi0: Failed to set watchdog

over an undetermined period of time. Sometimes it stops before the
watchdog triggers, sometimes it [falsely] triggers the watchdog.

 - Arnaud

[0]: I'll have a look to the physical machine and let you know.