Re: IPv6 accept_rtadv + bfe0

From: Hiroki Sato <hrs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:48:48 +0900 (JST)
John Hay <jhay_at_meraka.org.za> wrote
  in <20111022193418.GA53988_at_zibbi.meraka.csir.co.za>:

jh> I can maybe just say, I have now upgraded various machines from 7.x or
jh> 8.x to 9 and even though I have read the rc.conf manual I keep tripping
jh> on the new IPv6 rc stuff.  Various being client, server and router /
jh> firewall. It looks like ipv6_prefix_IF now needs an ifconfig_IF_ipv6 =
jh> "inet6 auto_linklocal" otherwise it is ignored.

 This is intentional because $ifconfig_IF_ipv6 is designed as
 per-interface version of the old $ipv6_enable.  I added an explicit
 description about this to rc.conf(5).

jh> In the rc.conf man page, in the ifconfig_<interface>_ipv6 section, it is
jh> suggested to use ifconfig_<interface>_alias<n> for aliases, but somewhere
jh> else it says that that _alias<n> is deprecated. What would be nice is
jh> something like the ipv4_addrs_IF= variable.

 $ipv6_prefix_IF is the counterpart of $ipv4_addrs_IF.  It is limited
 to /64 prefixes, though.

 I didn't notice it said ifconfig_IF_aliasN was deprecated.  Although
 the man page explains the depreciation is due to a difficult behavior
 of _aliasN, if it is the reason, it is easy to support multiple lines
 in the variable like this:

 ifconfig_em0_aliases="
    inet 192.168.0.1/32
    inet 192.168.0.2/32
    inet 192.168.0.3/32
 "

jh> The last paragraph in ifconfig_<interface>_ipv6, about "inet6 accept_rtadv"
jh> should probably be closer to the begining, with some added sentence to
jh> make it clear that it is probably what the normal client machine needs.

 Moved it to just after a normal GUA configuration example in rc.conf(5).

-- Hiroki