Re: FreeBSD 9.0-beta3, cannot boot after succesfull installation

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:17:10 +0800
Hi,

Just because I'd like to ensure this doesn't get lost, would you
please do an MBR install of 9.0-RELEASE on another disk, and then plug
that in as a slave to the 8.x install?
Do you have a USB<->SATA adapter, so you can attach the disk after boot?

What I think will help the developers;

* getting a copy of the first couple of kilobytes of the 9.0 MBR disk,
so the 9.0 and 8.x MBR/boot/partition table stuff can be compared;
* Does the system hang when it's the first disk, or _any_ disk?
* If we're lucky, the disk will only hang if its the first disk - so
we can try installing 8.x bootblocks on the 9.x disk and see if it
works;
* If we're unlucky and the 9.0 installed disk hangs when plugged in
whether it's the boot disk or not - if it attaches as a USB disk
(after the 8.x install is done) you can try putting the 8.x bootblocks
on and see if the system boots.

I doubt you'll be the only person with this problem so thankyou for
bringing it to the FreeBSD lists - I bet for every one of you there's
99 others who would try, see it fail and give up without telling the
rest of the FreeBSD community. :)

Adrian