Re: can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

From: Claude Buisson <clbuisson_at_orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:18:27 +0200
On 10/25/2011 14:54, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 01:18:47PM +0200, Claude Buisson wrote:

>>> Have you tried pointing VLC at /dev/cd0 when using ATA_CAM?
>>>

>> Of course yes ! (I even configured WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/cd1 when building VLC)
>>

>>> It may be trying old style ATA ioctls based on the device name.
>>>

>> VLC recognize the tracks and jump quickly from one to the following, without
>> playing it, and with a flow of messages:
>>
>> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
>> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn
>>
>> where the sector number is incremented, and then emit (2 times if I remenber):
>>
>> [0x2af28bc] es demux error: cannot peek
>>
>> Sorry for having ommited these messages in the previous mail.
>>
>> I found a PR 161760 about cdparanoia needing to be patched for 9.0 with CAM, a
>> proposal by avg_at_ related to libxine:
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2010-December/011414.html
>>
>> These may not be the same problem, but I think they are related (a not so well
>> documented change in the kerm interface).
>
> You want atapicam(4).  This is not the same thing as "options ATA_CAM".
> See /sys/conf/NOTES.
>
> Whether or not it works with audio CDs is unknown to me.

I *know* the difference between atapicam and ATA_CAM ;-)

I have done other tests on 8.X and 7.X, and found that audio CDs cannot be
played with atapicam.

BUT, I understood (wrongly ?) that ATA_CAM was the way to go starting with 9.X,
which imply that the traditionnal acdN interface will disappear.

A valid answer to my question may be: "we - kernel developpers - know about it,
but we don't care, and the problem must be solved by the userland/applications
developpers".

With some obvious consequences on the upgrading or not upgrading of end users
systems.

Claude Buisson