Re: Panics after AHCI timeouts

From: C. P. Ghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:00:55 +0200
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Alexander Kabaev <kabaev_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I do see timeouts on one of my Samsung ST3750330A disks and they
> definitely do not cause any panics. The weird part in my case is that
> disk then immediately reappears as online and mirror zpool can be
> rebuilt by just onlining the disk with 'zpool online <pool> <disk>'
> command.
>
> It seems to be happening once system has accumulated some uptime. If
> rebooted, it keeps running for a week or two with no issues, but then
> timeouts start to happen more or less reliably every single 24 hours.

Does it correlate with high disk activity, i.e. with periodic(8)?

On my machine, I have a feeling that timeouts occur more often
at that point, than normally... and that they also occur when multiple
processes access the disk simultaneously.

If it's only one process, the machine (usually) doesn't hang, even
when that process is copying big files back and forth for a long period
of time (it's a backup process). But interleave that process with another
one accessing the same disk, and poof!, almost immediately ahci timeouts.
occur. Very strange... Maybe a race condition of some sort after all?

> --
> Alexander Kabaev

Regards,
-cpghost.