Re: FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 RC1 and KDE4

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:34:11 -0400
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Alberto Villa <avilla_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 October 2011 01:09:25 Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > The KDE4 in FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 amd64 is generating enormous amount of
> error
> > messages during usage ( not visible on screen , but seen after Ctrl-
> Alt-F1
> > discontinuation of X ) . This is making it extremely slow which may be
> > considered to be practically unusable . Actually parts are working
> > generally but every step is waiting so much that such a usage is not
> > practically applicable .
>
> You didn't say anything about those error messages, though. It might
> come useful. We keep trying to improve the situation thanks to reports
> from our users.
>
> > Therefore , for the KDE4 users in the amd64 platform , there is a big
> > problem .
> >
> > This was also the case for 8.2 amd64 Release .
>
> Actually, you're the first one to report such a problem. If this "was also
> the case for 8.2" you could have said it earlier. Any chance to get some
> help from you to investigate the issue?
> --
> Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avilla_at_FreeBSD.org>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla
>
> Man who arrives at party two hours late
> will find he has been beaten to the punch.

In a message previously I mentioned the KDE4 problem for 8.2 amd64 Release ,
but that message even did not receive a single reply .

Always I may help with pleasure , but I do not know how .
I think the problem is not related to hardware because i386 KDE4 is working
very well . On the same computer , there are four hard disks , and each disk
has a different operating system , mostly 64 bit ones . All of them using
KDE4 and working very well .

If you consider useful , my ideas are following :

During start-up of KDE4 , screen is painted with its wall paper only . Since
X is already running , it is possible to open a window and display messages
on it with possible saving to a text file . This file may be transmitted to
experts for possible studies .

At present , monitors are cheap . I want to install multiple monitors on the
same computer to watch serial console output on a regular ( VGA ) monitor (
because in market , there is NO any serial console on sale in computer shops
( I am in Turkey )) .

Really , I do not know how to implement a regular ( VGA ) computer instead
of a serial console . A very good application in FreeBSD may be to allow
such a multiple monitor definition during install and use them for virtual
terminals simultaneously .

Using a second computer for serial console is not very practical due to
software and hardware problems .

If you know my actual problem , you may understand me better .

I am writing a multimedia information management system as continuation of
my PhD thesis feasibility demonstration program . Due to health problems it
is progressing very slowly .
My primary aim is to base it on a free , permissive , open source operating
system . My program , with a freely usable version , will be closed source (
for sale , if I can do ) .

I need a permissive ( BSD like licensed ) operating system , because a data
base without operating system support can not be secure in itself .

Unfortunately , I am using Pascal only , Fortran for scientific programming
and very rarely C ,
( with a knowledge of other many programming languages ) .

I want to start on working internal structure of an operating system .

Linux is NOT usable due to GPL .
Minix ( does not have a capable Pascal ) , Haiku , are not sufficiently
mature .
NetBSD , OpenBSD , DragonFlyBSD are not better than FreeBSD .

OpenSolaris died , OpenIndiana is using copyright dependent parts .

The most viable selection is FreeBSD for 64 bits ... In such an environment
, usability of multiple terminals ( monitors ) simultaneously as distinct
display areas with output direction possibility via parameter files would be
very useful . Assume values are written into distinct files , where files
are monitors .

Not only for my own benefits , also for contribution to humanity
( My main hobby was to write mathematical analysis programs to support
researches ,
with very hard work : Conclusion : My wife had divorced me with a complaint
that I am studying very much , occupying home with computers , etc. )
, I always wish to make contributions to FreeBSD because of its very good
license (
even commercial companies may use it freely which is a very good decision
for me ) and its high quality .

To test the KDE4 in FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 RC1 , you can do the following :

Install X .
Install KDE4 .
Login to console .
Without an .xinitrc file , and unmodified /etc/ttys file , execute startx .
( Do not start KDE4 directly . )
In right xterm window of X , execute /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
( /usr/local/kde4/bin is not in path definition ) .

In that terminal , you will see a lot of messages .
After display of messages , a form will appear to display KDE4 .

Then , I do not know , but , even this will supply much information about
what is going problematic . Correction of first displayed errors and
continuing in that way , will solve the problems one by one .

If KDE4 is starting directly , during waiting after display of hard disk
symbol , discontinuation of X with Ctrl-Alt-F1 will reveal some messages ,
but last ones . Therefore , the above method is better than that second
method .

If xterm buffer keeps all of the messages , no one of them will be lost .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk