Re: LSI 9240-8i (IBM M1015) MegaRaid support

From: Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko_at_ambrisko.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
Roberto de Iriarte writes:
| Hi,
|
| Is there any expectancy of getting this piece of hardware (or it's IBM
| silbing, the M1015) working in MegaRaid mode, without having to reflash
| the card to IT mode.
|
| The reason of this request is that the UEFI Bios on the IBM XSeries
| 3550M3 refuses to properly initialize the controller if reflashed with
| the IT mode firmware, thus making it unusable.
|
| A search on LSI's website for a driver that supports 8-Stable or 9 did
| not produce any results

I have driver changes from LSI to support the 9240 and newer ThunderBolt
based cards.  I have the cards working but need to do a bunch more work
to get this into shape to commit to FreeBSD.  I also need to look at
how they are dealing with their JBOD configuration and attachment.

I have cards to test this stuff out but my time is limited to work on it.
One thing I should start working on is merging in the LSI changes into
the FreeBSD version since the LSI code drop has removed a bunch of
features that the FreeBSD version has.  Then I can have a smaller change.
There are some architectural changes that I need to figure out.  They
started to use 64 bit addressing.  Then there are style issues.

Probably the best thing for me to do is add the new HW support to
FreeBSD as a small diff then work on improving that and maybe others
can also help with that.

Doug A.