Re: 9.0 RC1 linking problem with i386 libs on amd64

From: Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze_at_bsdforen.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:41:50 +0200
On 26/10/2011 16:39, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2011-10-26 15:32, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>> I haven't tried to dig into this. Only "unusual" properties of the system
>> are my non-default MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and the use of ccache.
>>
>> # uname -a
>> FreeBSD AryaStark.norad 9.0-RC1 FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 #0: Wed Oct 26 13:46:13 CEST 2011     root_at_AryaStark.norad:/usr/obj/GENERIC/amd64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>
>> # make -VCC -VCPUTYPE -VCFLAGS
>> /usr/local/bin/ccache clang
>> athlon64-sse3
>> -O2 -pipe -march=athlon64-sse3
>
> How are you setting CC and/or CFLAGS, precisely?  Depending on how you
> do it, the settings might not be propagated correctly to the build32
> stage.

Like that:
.if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/src} || ${.CURDIR:M/usr/src/*}
CC=clang
CXX=clang++
CPP=clang-cpp
NO_WERROR=
WERROR=
.endif

I had hoped that the .ifdef construction from the wiki was dated. I
suppose it's emulating setting CC in the environment instead of in
the make/src.conf.

>  Also, if you force CFLAGS to have -march=athlon64-sse3, I'm not
> sure if the build32 stage can even work correctly.  Just specify
> CPUTYPE, that should be enough.

That's what I do. I don't touch CFLAGS.

> In any case, you can try out the attached patch, which should take care
> of passing CC to the build32 stage correctly.

I tried CC?=, but that doesn't work, because apparently make always
initializes CC before parsing makefiles. I figure that means the
!defined(CC) clause in the .ifdef construction is never true and thus
obsolete.

I didn't try it, though. Your patch works for me.

> I would really like to have this in head, and even stable/9.  It makes
> it possible to just set CC in make.conf, without .ifdef trickery.  Works
> nicely for clang, too. :)

Seconded!