Re: Adding disk firmware programming capability to camcontrol

From: Matthew Jacob <mj_at_feral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:31:20 -0700
This is a good idea, except that it makes me really really nervous. I do
not believe that fw downloads are generic enough to encapsulate. I've
used camcontrol recently to tunnel an ATA command through mpt2 that does
an ATA DOWNLOAD FW (mode 7), but that is only because it is a specific
drive that I've validated works correctly.

The linux hdparm program is so paranoid about this that you have to use
extra arguments like "--yes-really-destroy-my-disk-drive" to do this.

I'm very very nervous about putting it into camcontrol.