Re: Custom installer woes (can't mount / RW)

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 01:47:42 -0700
Hi,

Does it make a difference if you change this line in your script:

echo '/dev/gpt/swap	/		swap	sw	0	0' >>${TMPDIR}/mnt/etc/fstab

to:

echo '/dev/gpt/swap	none		swap	sw	0	0' >>${TMPDIR}/mnt/etc/fstab

Mounting of the root file system "/" is a very interesting thing.

During early bootup, when loader(8) runs, it has to read the root file
system to find and load the kernel,
but it also reads /etc/fstab (if it is there)  and sets some
environment variables, having to do with mounting the
root file system.  This logic is in src/sys/boot/common/boot.c in the
getrootmount() function.  The environment
variables which are set are "vfs.root.mountfrom", and
"vfs.root.mountfrom.options".

After your install script runs, you should break into the loader
before the kernel loads, and look at the value of those two
environment variables.

If there is something else wrong, you need to look into the logic
in src/sys/kern/vfs_mount.c in the vfs_mountroot() function.

BTW, once you solve your issue, do you have time to review the
following document which I am in the middle
of submitting to the FreeBSD Documentation Project:

"PXE Booting with an NFS root file system"
http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/doc/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-pxe-nfs.html

It's not 100% related to your current issue, but I have used PXE
Booting + NFS root, to write custom installers for
FreeBSD.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org