Re: Need a README to explain items in download directory

From: Chris Brennan <xaero_at_xaerolimit.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 00:40:10 -0400
On 9/3/2011 7:12 PM, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org
> <mailto:rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>> wrote:
>
>     For this line:
>
>     (1)  FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso - Requires an Internet
>     Connection
>
>     Does this mean that this ISO has the minimal stuff to boot, and
>     then do an install by downloading packages over the Internet?  I
>     really don't
>     know, that's why I'm asking. :)

What this should have said was that it is a *boot-to-installer* only ISO
image, designed to be burned to optical media. A *network* connection is
required (LAN/WAN depending on where you will be installing from) *or*
you will have to provide a 'local source[1]' for the install to pull
BASE packages from.

[1] Local source can be an NFS mounted partition, local hard-drive with
the base packages, etc... where-ever the BASE install files are located.

> While such wording may be helpful to a new user over completely absent
> directions, it's technically flawed.  You don't need an internet
> connection, but rather a network connection or some other form of
> installation media.

You are correct Adam. I was a little too basic. If such a README is to
be implemented, I could find myself writing some correct descriptions
... perhaps a pr is in order?