Re: BETA2 panic

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 14:45:17 -0700
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Joel Dahl <joel_at_vnode.se> wrote:
> On 04-09-2011 10:56, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Joel Dahl <joel_at_vnode.se> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I upgraded my laptop from BETA1 to rev. 225367 today, and now my laptop panics just a few minutes after booting. This is 100% reproducible, it panics every time.
>> >
>> > I've got a pic with the backtrace here: http://www.vnode.se/sc/panic_20110904.jpg
>>
>>     Is your wireless turned off? If so, it looks like the state
>> transition code isn't being handled properly between bwn(4) and
>> net80211(4), in particular because your wireless card was still in
>> 'scan' mode.
>
> No, it's always on.  I can ping over the wireless for a few minutes, until
> it panics.

   Hmm.. and the wireless card always appears on? Assuming the
firmware isn't buggy (did you update it recently? have you booted
other OSes, i.e. Windows or Linux that could be updating the firmware
automatically on load?), it should keep the light for the wireless NIC
properly lit.

> Any particular commit you think I should try to back out?

    Not in particular (in fact if_bwn has been untouched after
9.0-BETA1 was cut), but as Adrian suggested you should bisect the
source of failure.. it would be a wise idea to load if_bwn as a module
after boot to see if the behavior persists; next I would try out a
revision sometime between r222218 (9.0 Beta1) and your head revision.
Some commits of interest that you might want to try backing out and
testing are:

- 224717
- 225139

HTH,