Re: ath0 no longer attaches, cardbus problems?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:08:42 -0400
On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:34:58 pm Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > On Friday, September 02, 2011 12:27:02 pm Daniel Eischen wrote:
> >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> >>

> [ snip ]
>
> >> Any hopes of getting this cardbus problem fixed?
> >
> > Hmm, the dmesg for the 'hostres' case shows the 'hostres' code as still
> > being active.  (And it does look like that is the root cause in your
> > case perhaps.)  Granted, we are asking for resources that your BIOS says
> > work just fine, so I'm not sure why it is failing in the first place.
> >
> > Looks like I had a typo in my original e-mail, try
"debug.acpi.disabled=hostres"
> > rather than "debug.acpi.disable=hostres".
>
> Ok, I'll try that.
>
> FYI, I tried a few different kernels.  So far, this is what
> I've found (I'm using source from a local CVS repo since it's
> easier than having to be online all the time):
>
>    cvs -d /opt/FreeBSD/cvs checkout -D "15 Mar 2011" src
>      Works (ath0 loads)
>
>    cvs -R update -P -d -A -D "22 Mar 2011" sys
>      Works (ath0 loads)
>
>    cvs -R update -P -d -A -D "1 Apr 2011" sys
>      kernel panics
>
>    cvs -R update -P -d -A -D "10 Apr 2011" sys
>      kernel panics
>
>    cvs -R update -P -d -A -D "14 Apr 2011" sys
>      kernel panics
>
>    cvs -R update -P -d -A -D "15 Apr 2011" sys
>      kernel panics
>
>    cvs -R update -P -d -A -D "15 May 2011" sys
>      Fails (kernel works, ath0 doesn't load)
>
> I have not had the chance to find the exact endpoints of
> where the kernel panics, and to test ath outside of
> those endpoints.  But somewhere between March 22 and
> May 15 ath stopped working.

Yes, there was a panic with cardbus with some of the PCI changes when they
first went in.  I wonder why the cardbus bit didn't work though.  I wonder
if there is a chance that the cardbus resources need to specifically not
fit into the decoding windows of the parent bridge.  Warner, does that ring
a bell at all?

--
John Baldwin