Re: Shared libraries version bump?

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 08:32:36 -0700
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Thomas Mueller
<<mueller6727_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Since I have plenty of disk space on the new computer, I was planning to keep the BETA1 partition and install BETA2 to a separate partition.
>
> FreeBSD 9.0 BETA1 is the first hard drive OS on the new computer, not counting the nonworking NetBSD installation; I am not upgrading from 8.x.
>
> Since I have nothing worth saving on my nonworking installation of NetBSD-current, I can delete those partitions and make a FreeBSD partition for BETA2.
>
> I can keep the already existing /home partition.
>
> That way, I already have the ports tree, can run 'portsnap fetch update', won't have to redownload the distfiles on those ports that haven't been updated since then.  I will have no immediate need for portupgrade or portmaster but will in the near future.
>
> I will have the BETA1 to fall back on in the interim before BETA2 installation becomes more self-sufficient, for web browsing including online financial affairs.

Thanks, but I've already pulled t trigger and am running 9.0-Beta2
(current). Works fine. I will
need to re-build some ports. Probably will re-install all of them.

I did hit a bug in the upgrade that I will report in a new thread, but
it went pretty well.

Thanks to all of the suggestions.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com