Re: Need a README to explain items in download directory

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:26:26 -0700
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com> wrote:
> (Sorry, lost track of quoting)
>
> The style is okay, but I would suggest rearranging the order to demphasize
> the DVD with its quickly-obsolete packages.  Media type is very important
> and should probably be mentioned first.
>
>>> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso    - CD:  Installer, FreeBSD OS
>>> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img - USB: Installer, FreeBSD OS, image
>>> for memory sticks
>>> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso - CD:  Installer, installs from
>>> network
>>> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso.xz  - DVD: Installer, FreeBSD OS, many
>>> pre-compiled packages (large file)
>>> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-livefs.iso   - CD:  FreeBSD live CD for repairs
>>
>> For more information, consult the FreeBSD Handbook:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/install-diff-media.html
>
>> Anybody downloading the Bootonly image should already know what they're
>> getting into.
>
> A lot of the people who needlessly download the DVD would be better off with
> bootonly.  It's not any harder to install.

    Not necessarily true. Many people that pull down the DVD image may
want the packages that correspond with the release version of the OS,
for various reasons ;)..
Thanks,
-Garrett