Re: RELENG_8 / mpt / zpool Errors

From: Matt Thyer <matt.thyer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 09:26:37 +0930
On Sep 11, 2011 6:07 AM, "Tim Gustafson" <tjg_at_soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> > I'm not sure what cards you can get now with the LSI 1068E chip. As
> > LSI branded cards cost more, I went for for the LSI SAS2008 based
> > Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8i as I knew I wasn't going to use port expanders.
> > It could be hard to get cards with the older chip now (you might have
> > to get something second hand).
>
> I'm not at all wedded to that card; any card that has two external ports
will do for me.  The bigger requirement is that it works well with FreeBSD
8.2 and eventually 9.0.  If you had your pick of any (reasonably priced)
card that had two external ports and would work in my configuration, which
would it be?

I don't know what's out there having chosen only one such card for home
use.  So you'll need to do your own research.  Start with looking at any
card with the right chip and then look for evidence that people have used
said card with FreeBSD.

> > A port expander would be required and just a few older drives in
> > the enclosure. A developer (of which I'm not) would need console
> > access and ability to install new kernels, reboot etc.
>
> I can probably swing that, at least for a time, in 3 or 4 weeks.  We have
hardware on order that I can use to test with for a short while before it
goes into production.

You should contact the driver maintainer and see if they're available &
inclined to take up your offer of hardware availability.

You may also have access to some talented young students who might be
interested in driver programming who could help.

As a production user of FreeBSD it's always great if you can find a way to
contribute back to the project in areas that help you too.