Re: 9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:46:21 -0700
2011/9/14 Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_freebsd.org>:
> Hello, Fbsd8.
> You wrote 12 ÓÅÎÔÑÂÒÑ 2011 Ç., 17:57:41:
>
>> 7. On the partition editor screen the option <finish> should be the
>> first in the list (ie; left most side) so if user accepts this config,
>> hitting enter moves to next menu screen instead of having to tab over
>> taking more time and effort.
> šAnd again: there is no way to change block size/frag size/inode
> šnumber in GUI. Only SU/SU+J/Version present in "Options" and here is
> šno way to change options after partition creation (adding to dialog)
> šbut BEFORE real FS are created (changes are committed).

First, I don't think you get SU+J (soft-updates and full FS journal), which is
a bad combination. I think you get SUJ (journal of metadata) which is
a very different and is, I believe the preferred default setup.

Second, I frequently want custom newfs options, most notably -b, -f,
and -i. There was
no way to do this with sysinstall and is still no way to do this with
bsdinstall. I suggest
an option to specify additional newfs options. The test should note
that this is for
knowledgeable users and that defaults should be used if you don't understand the
significance of any options. It should also provide the options that
will be passed to
newfs if nothing is done. (I'd like to see this in any case, just to
avoid confusion on
SU+J vs. SUJ.)

Of course, all of these are issues that exist with the old installer,
but I think can be
improved with the move to bsdinstall.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com