Re: 9.0-BETA2 do not support SpeedStep on E5420

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:39:21 +0300
on 16/09/2011 00:19 Arnaud Lacombe said the following:
> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 616082506000825
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6

This is a far more common issue.  The output implies that acpi_perf driver
hasn't been able to attach, presumably because it couldn't evaluate _PSS method.
We usually discuss problems like this one on acpi_at_ and you can find some
information in the archives of that mailing list.
Diagnosing an issue like this requires examining DSDT and SSDT(s), if present,
to see the logic there and what capabilities the firmware/BIOS expects from the OS.
It's a tedious process and I am currently short on time.

--
Andriy Gapon