Re: Thinkpad CD-ROM hotplug with ATA_CAM

From: Boris Kochergin <spawk_at_acm.poly.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:55:37 -0400
On 09/14/11 12:15, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 14/09/2011 18:11 Boris Kochergin said the following:
>> camcontrol rescan all
> I think that this command may screw up communication between kernel and HDD from
> which the OS runs.

It works under normal circumstances--I can run "camcontrol rescan all"
on a system with ATA_CAM and the root filesystem isn't disturbed.

> Perhaps using a specific bus number would work better.

Somewhat, but results are still undesirable. "camcontrol rescan 1" (the
CD-ROM is listed as being on scbus1) executes, stays in the cbwait state
for 30 seconds, then the system locks up.

"camcontrol reset 1" has the same behavior as "camcontrol rescan all" in
that the system locks up instantly.

-Boris