Re: Thinkpad CD-ROM hotplug with ATA_CAM

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:03:37 -0700
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> on 16/09/2011 15:55 Boris Kochergin said the following:
>>> I think that this command may screw up communication between kernel and HDD from
>>> which the OS runs.
>>
>> It works under normal circumstances--I can run "camcontrol rescan all" on a system
>> with ATA_CAM and the root filesystem isn't disturbed.
>>
>>> Perhaps using a specific bus number would work better.
>>>

>> Somewhat, but results are still undesirable. "camcontrol rescan 1" (the CD-ROM is
>> listed as being on scbus1) executes, stays in the cbwait state for 30 seconds,
>> then the system locks up.
>>
>> "camcontrol reset 1" has the same behavior as "camcontrol rescan all" in that the
>> system locks up instantly.
>
> Weird.  Can you provoke a panic when that happens?
> Maybe you can contact mav_at_ directly and he'd be interested in debugging this case.

I fear that BIOS may have some issue. I have a T43 and found that, if
I booted with the DVD
installed, atacontrol (this was prior to ATA-CAM) would allow me to
detach, but if I then
inserted a hard drive and tried to attach it, the system would lock up.

If I booted with a hard drive in the bay, I could detach, change
drives, and attach with no
problems. I don't recall if I could replace the hard drive with a DVD,
though and I don't have
physical access to that system ATM. Still, this sounds rather similar
to what I saw and it
was unique to the T43. I have had several other ThinkPads, all of
which allow me to swap
out the DVD for a different drive including the T520 I am using to
enter this reply.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com