Re: 9.0 bata2 & keymap

From: Chris Rees <crees_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:03:34 +0100
On 17 September 2011 22:42, Fbsd8 <fbsd8_at_a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> Chris Rees wrote:

>> releases.

>> keep the default. The utility being invoked is just kbdmap(1), and any
>> changes to it need to go there.

>>> an "installer" mode to kbdmap that names it skip instead of cancel, of
>>> course. I'm traveling for another 2 weeks and won't have time to do
>>
>> however.

>>> Nathan
>>>
>>> Its good to be talking directly with the bsdinstall author.
>>>
>>> Changing the cancel button in the kbdmap command to skip, does not
>>> address
>>
>> the problem, which is the lack of knowledge of the standard bsdinstall
>> user.
>> I've been using Freebsd since 4.0 and never used the kbdmap command or for
>> that matter even knew it existed.
>>
>> Wait, are you suggesting that everyone on Earth can "make do" with the
>> "standard" keyboard layout until they learn rc.conf syntax?
>>
>> I would strongly object if localisation of the keyboard were not "forced
>> on"
>> the user; we don't all use pc105-us, and the ability to use the keyboard
>> properly early on is kinda helpful.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> You would help yourself a great deal if you read the complete post before
> jumping in. The rest of the post (ie: the part you neglected to include in
> your post) clearly describes what I am suggesting.

I had read the rest of your post, and found it rather difficult to
follow. The fact remains that every other installer I have ever used
gives the user the choice of keymap, so I don't really understand your
problem.

If you're not suggesting removing localisation from bsdinstall, then
please accept my apologies.

Chris