Re: USB Keyboard doesn't work

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:40:35 +0930
On 20/09/2011, at 10:05, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Pegasus Mc Cleaft wrote:
>
>> On Monday 19 September 2011 20:20:18 Alisson wrote:
>>
>>> if the machine doesn't have a PS2 port to use keyboard... and have only USB
>>> port its impossible to use an keyboard on mountroot prompt
>>
>> Hi Alisson,
>>
>> 	I dont know the complete ins and outs of this, but I think it has a lot
>> to do with the BIOS on your machine and/or how it is configured (IE: PS2
>> emulation).
>
> 	Many BIOS vendors label this as "legacy keyboard emulation", etc. You might want to play with the plug-n-play settings as well (but I doubt that that would help).

I think you would need "legacy emulation" for the keyboard to work in the loader.

However that will have no effect at mountroot (and after) as the kernel has taken over by then.

The kern.cam.boot_delay=10000 work around helps by giving the USB stack some time to find devices before mountroot.

Unfortunately I believe the USB stack is effectively frozen once the mountroot prompt appears hence the need for the work around.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum