Re: no X after installing xorg + xfce

From: Michal Varga <varga.michal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:29:38 +0200
On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 07:01 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > I've skimmed the thread, (apologies if I've missed it), but I haven't
> > yet seen your Xorg log or your config file. Almost every graphics card
> > should work with VESA at a minimum.
>
> I have no Xorg.conf file as it is not needed anymore.  I tried to rebuild it,
> # Xorg -configure

xorg.conf isn't "needed" in case you wish to rely purely on xorg's and
HAL's autodetection (this is a perfectly bad idea), and if you do not
need to change any single xorg option from defaults (this would be very
strange in my book).

There are tons of manuals on the Internet detailing how to write a
proper xorg configuration file (it even has its own man page - man
xorg.conf) and as with any properly configured software - it pays off.

> process hangs and returns colors on the screen :(

Autodetection blows. You will have to write your configuration manually.

> I can't attach Xorg.0.log, I know which driver to use, as I have X
> working correctly with Linux(Slackware) on that same machine[another
> hard drive].  It is just that I have no way of saving logs or posting
> information without taking a picture, I would to put all doubts away.

Honestly, I really don't understand the "I can't attach Xorg.log"
wording.

It's a physical log file, just a regular file. How is it that you cannot
copy it from the particular machine/hard drive/filesystem and put it
someplace on the Internet, or paste the relevant parts inline in one of
the emails?

> As of know I will rebuild world, install new kernel remove all ports
> and start from scratch.  If I can't get it to work with a fresh start.

There's really nothing wrong with your ports and you'll be only wasting
your time with this generic and pointless "Windows-style reinstall
everything" procedure, without actually looking at the issue itself.

The other poster(s) already told you. If you need any help, you will
have to provide error messages, you will have to provide error logs (and
you will have to properly configure your xorg, because as you already
noticed, autodetection clearly doesn't work the way you expect it to).

>  I will wait for BETA 3 or an RC :)  I just want to help in testing,
> it is that I can't supply the information as I would like to :(

I can 100% guarantee that BETA3 nor RC won't change anything in regard
to the issue you're experiencing. Your problem lies elsewhere and you
didn't even start systematically investigating it.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)