Re: 9.0 bsdinstall usage

From: Fbsd8 <fbsd8_at_a1poweruser.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:23:43 -0400
Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 09/23/11 04:09, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> I have installed 9.0 bata2 from cd and the net. In both cases after the
>> completion of the install and rebooting, the bsdinstall scripts still
>> remain on the new installed system. If I interpret the code logic
>> correctly, bsdinstall can ONLY be used for an original install. It's not
>> intended by design to be used any other time, unlike sysinstall. I think
>> the "auto" script should have code added to remove all traces of the
>> bsdinstall environment at the conclusion of the install. This way
>> bsdinstall fulfills the original design goals and guarantees no one can
>> exec it by accident and kill there running system.
>
> It's quite useful after install time for installing new systems (e.g.
> jails). It also uses approximately zero disk space.
> -Nathan

bsdinstall/auto logic falls down through the partition hard drive logic
with no way to bypass it. It will look for free space on the H.D. you
booted from and issue message about no free space, ask you if you want
to try another drive and then use the booted drive as target to redo the
partitioning again thus scratching your running system. In the normal
sense there is no way bsdinstall can be used to create jails. A jail
does not occupies a whole H.D nor do you boot a jail as a standalone
host. The qjail port is there for the purpose of creating and
administration of jails.

Its not a question of how much space bsdinstall occupies on the H.D.
after the original install. Its that some poor soul may try to use it
and trash there newly installed running system by accident. And if there
were multiple os's on that H.D. there all gone in a heart beat. We have
to protect the poor user from them selfs doing stupid things.

As I understand it bsdinstall is a replacement for sysinstall.
Sysinstall tried to be everything to everybody and turned into a can of
worms. There is nothing wrong about limiting bsdinstall to a roll of
"original installs" only. KISS

These 2 statements should be added at the end of bsdinstall/auto to
complete the clean up of the install process.

rm /usr/sbin/bsdinstall
rm -rf /usr/libexec/bsdinstall

Another benefit of doing this is it will no longer be necessary to
create man pages for bsdinstall.