Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:41:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> The question of how to layout and split filesystems was discussed at the
>> filesystems working group of the devsummit at BSDCan this may.
>> (http://wiki.freebsd.org/201105DevSummit/FileSystems down to "Filesystem
>> Layout" near the bottom)  Though "one big root" did not garner a huge amount
>> of support, neither were there particularly compelling arguments against it
>> (if I remember correctly).  It's certainly easier to write an
>> autopartitioner for, so I don't really blame Nathan for having chosen it
>> initially.
>>
> What's the point of running a vote if it's to finally not care about it ?
>
> You had got 4 people wanting to go right, 9 to go straight, 2 to go
> left, and the driver goes left.

Not at all.  Firstly, the "driver" (as you put it) was not at this
session, and in fact the installer was imported *before* this session, so
the "driver went left" before people were even talking about it.  (My
reading of the svn log is that the "one big root" was just part of the
initial import and not given a whole lot of thought.)
Secondly, it was not a vote; it was more of a straw poll, and no strong
opinions were really voiced.
Thirdly, no one was tasked with going off and telling Nathan the results
of it, so (since he wasn't there) I find it hard to blame him for failing
to go and scour the entire devsummit wiki to see if something relevant to
the installer might possibly have happened then.

-Ben Kaduk