Re: bin/160979: 9.0 burncd error caused by change to cd0 from acd0

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:00:25 -0700
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>        Please fix it and move on.
> Thanks,
> -Garrett
>
> $ usr.sbin/burncd/burncd -f /dev/cd0 blank
> burncd: device provided not an acd(4) device: /dev/cd0.
>
> Please verify that your kernel is built with acd(4) and the beforementioned
> device is supported by acd(4).

Hi,

That patch is an improvement over the existing behavior.   However, we
may want to go
a bit farther.  Here are some possible scenarios:

      (1)  User has a system with ATAPI CD-ROM only.
      (2)  User has a system with ATAPI CD-ROM *and* USB CD-ROM.
      (3)  User has a system with USB CD-ROM only.
      (4)  User has a system with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI CD-ROM
      (5)  User has a system with SCSI CD-ROM only

I would guess that (1) is the most common scenario, and end-users will
definitely encounter it and complain.
In the case of (1), it would be nice if we could fail if we try to
burn to /dev/cd0, as per your patch,
but still check to see if ATA_CAM is enabled in the kernel, and print
out a message with pointers
for using cdrtools.  With your patch, a user will see a message about
acd(4), and try to get it to compile/kldload/whatever
acd(4) on their system, and then not get it to work because ATA_CAM is enabled.

Adding notes to the burncd man page that burncd will not work on ATAPI
devices if ATA_CAM is enabled would be good to do also.
If the long term plan is to get rid of the old ATA subsystem, and
completely move to ATA_CAM, then we should
put a deprecation warning in the burncd man page as well, to give
users a further heads-up.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org