Re: HEADS UP: ports/ and 10.0-CURRENT

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:24:29 -0700
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's not the FreeBSD dev's fault. Unfortunately the autotools folks
>> were microoptimizing and didn't consider that the future would come
>> sooner than it actually did.
>
> First, I'm not complaining or criticizing any of the developers and I
> am very grateful to
> aDe for maintaining them as I get a headache every time I start looking at them.
>
> I am baffled in my attempts to parse "didn't consider that the future
> would come sooner
> than it actually did". Is that what you really meant, because it's
> self-contradictory? Or
> am I just confused.

    It just means that folks didn't plan ahead and didn't think up
proper contingency plans.
    FWIW FreeBSD has developed faster in the last couple of years than
most folks would have expected -- including myself -- and the release
cycles reflect that change. That's more of what I was addressing in my
previous reply.
    Corner cases are the bane of all software developers.
-Garrett