Re: HEADS UP: ports/ and 10.0-CURRENT

From: Beech Rintoul <beech_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:45:39 -0800
On Wednesday 28 September 2011 12:18:47 Doug Barton wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 12:39, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > The mess started to happen when I tried to "repair" a non CLANG
> > compiling port math/gotoblas with portmaster -vf amth/gotoblas.
> > Since this build binutils and even gettext and libiconv, I guess they
> > got broken. Last I saw was a successful installation report from
> > portmaster. But the libiconv.so.3 wasn't there anymore when I checked!
> >
> > This is a catastrophy ...
> >
> > I'm on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT r225844
>
> It's been widely reported on the ports list that you can't do fresh
> ports compiles on 10-current, and won't be able to until well after
> 9.0-RELEASE. The primary reason is that auto* stuff doesn't understand
> the 2-digit release version.
>
> Solutions are to set UNAME_r=9.0-CURRENT in your environment, and/or
> twiddle the version in newvers.sh and rebuild/reinstall your kernel.
>

> hth,
>
> Doug

So if I change /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh to something like vers 9.9 I'm not
going to shoot myself in the foot if I try and update? I would really like to
avoid downgrading this box.I've altready been bitten once today and had to
build packages on my tindy and force install.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech_at_FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \ - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html