Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 16:15:04 +0200
Am Sun, 1 Apr 2012 09:40:25 -0400
schrieb Gary Palmer <gpalmer_at_freebsd.org>:

> Other than catching software that mistakenly assumes /tmp
> and/or /var/run is persistent, what are the CLEAR advantages for
> changing the default?

It's my understanding it improves performance in cases where lots of
files are created and deleted in /tmp (and/or /var/tmp - sometimes
software hard-codes these locations...).

Out of my head, things like spamassassin and amavis/clamav come to mind.
Maybe the pkg-message of these packages should be adjusted so that this
is mentioned?

OTOH, on new installs, a TMPFS could be used automatically if memory >=
4GB.