Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

From: jb <jb.1234abcd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:46:34 +0000 (UTC)
jb <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

Chuck Burns break19_at_gmail.com

1:01 AM (16 hours ago)

My experiences with using tmpfs as /tmp
--
It works fine. until it doesn't.

I've had mountpoints run out of space, checked df and the mountpoint had been
reduced to something like 2 MiB TOTAL, with nothing free.. on a machine with
8GiB RAM.. however, rebooting restores the mount to around 2GiB.. but then after
some heavy usage, the mountpoint once again starts shrinking in size.

I've noticed this behavior in multiple versions of FreeBSD, and switched to
using md instead, with no more issues.

I'm not willing to use tmpfs until it's proven to be more stable than it was
when I was using it.

Chuck,
plz check your posting to the list (I received it, which I reposted here).
jb